What is Victors Care Concierge Medicine?
Concierge medicine, sometimes referred to as direct primary care, refers to a model of practicing medicine in which consumers pay an annual membership fee in exchange for enhanced access and time with their primary care physician. The primary care physician in a concierge medicine practice does not bill insurance for services rendered; however, the patient still carries insurance for medical care outside the scope of primary care. Physicians in concierge medicine practices limit the number of patients they accept to 20 percent of the number accepted in a traditional primary care practice, making it possible to devote more time and attention to each patient.
Why should I consider joining Victors Care?
Your health is your most valuable asset; a membership in Victors Care is an investment in that asset. As a Victors Care member, you will benefit from a customized health program rooted in a close relationship with your own Victors Care physician.
Who benefits from a Victors Care membership?
Concierge medicine makes sense for individuals, families and executive teams who are busy with life, work and travel. This model also benefits those looking for easy, barrier-free access to a personal physician with whom they can build a relationship. Victors Care offers advantages to people with medically complex conditions as well as those who are healthy and active.
How do I join Victors Care?
If you are interested in the Victors Care program, please contact Kyle Bingham at 248-922-3076 or VictorsCare@umich.edu (link sends e-mail) to learn more.
Are Victors Care physicians really more accessible to patients?
Our physicians are available to members via cell phone or e-mail 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and office appointments can usually be scheduled the same day or the next day.
Will I need to leave the primary care physician practice I use now?
Yes. Your Victors Care physician would become your personal primary care physician.
Why is there a membership fee for this service?
In order to provide the kind of personalized care we offer, membership fees allow us to limit the number of patients in each Victors Care physician's practice. Fees also take the place of billing insurance for office visits.
How much will Victors Care cost?
Victors Care will have founding memberships available for $2,700 per year for anyone who becomes a member on or before June 30, 2018. This price will be maintained through June 30, 2019. Memberships for those enrolling July 1, 2018 or later will be available for $3,600 per year. All founding membership discounts expire on July 1, 2019. From July 1, 2019 forward, the annual membership fee for all members, regardless of when one joined, will be the same.
What services are provided for the fee?
- Patients have their private doctor's cell phone number and email address
- Patient and doctor forge a close relationship through unhurried appointments
- Appointments are scheduled the same or next day – no waiting
- Coordinated care including referrals to specialists and diagnostic testing
- Each physician's patient volume is 20 percent of traditional primary care practices
- No office co-pays, deductibles, or insurance bills for primary care and executive health services provided in our office
- Assistance in scheduling appropriated appointments within Michigan Medicine for diagnostic services and specialty visits
- Diagnosis and management of acute medical problems
- Diagnosis and management of complex chronic medical problems
- Health maintenance and disease prevention
- Routine examinations
- Prostate cancer screening
- Skin cancer screening
- Nutrition counseling
- Tobacco and alcohol abuse counseling
- TB skin testing
- Geriatric care
- Stress management
Executive style physical examination:
- Comprehensive history
- Extensive physical exam
- Exercise stress test with Vo2
- Health risk appraisal
- Body composition analysis by impedance
- Height, weight, blood pressure, pulse, oxygen saturation
- Audiometric test (Hearing exam)
- Visual exam (Eye exam)
- Glaucoma test
- Pulmonary function test (Lung function study)
- Lab work
- Hemoglobin A1C (HgbA1c)
- Complete blood cell count
- Cholesterol profile
- Comprehensive metabolic panel
- Urine micro albumin
- High sensitivity crp
- Vitamin D
- Physician provided nutrition counseling
- Physician provided exercise counseling
- Pap/pelvic (procedure only, pathology not included)
- Coronary artery calcium scan when indicated
- A written summary report detailing the doctor's findings and recommendations.
Additional services performed when medically necessary:
- Skin biopsy (procedure only, pathology not included)
- Repair of simple lacerations as determined by physician
- Wound care as determined by physician
- Trigger point injection
- IV hydration when ordered by physician
- Injectable medication administration when ordered by physician
- In office testing when indicated
- Rapid strep
- Hem-occult cards
Do I have to pay the fee even if I do not use my physician's services during a given year?
Yes. The annual membership fee is for the personalized services and enhanced access offered in the program. The fee covers the cost of access to your doctor whether or not you use the services.
How is the membership fee determined and structured?
The Victors Care fee is based on a national average for doctors providing this kind of enhanced service. Services are billed directly via credit card, either annually, or bi-annually. These fees may not be submitted to your insurance provider or Medicare for payment or reimbursement.
Do I still have to carry medical insurance?
Yes. You must carry insurance to cover additional medical services such as bloodwork, immunizations, diagnostic testing, specialist visits and hospitalization.
I have HMO health insurance. Can I still join?
No. At this time, we are not able to accept patients who have an HMO.
Does my insurance cover any part of the membership fee?
No. Insurance does not cover any part of the membership fee. The fee is paid directly by patients who want to be part of a smaller, more personalized medical service.
I have Medicare. Can I still join?
Yes. But just like private insurance, no part of the fee can be submitted to Medicare for reimbursement.
Will I be charged co-pays for the medical services received under Victors Care?
You do not pay co-pays for office visits. However, all bloodwork outside of the routine bloodwork provided at the annual physical will be billed to private insurance and any necessary deductibles or co-pays would apply.
Are there additional fees associated with the program?
No. The membership fee covers all primary care services provided by Victors Care. There are no copays or deductibles charged for these primary care services. The covered services are listed on this website on the “Membership Options” page.
What happens if I need to go to the emergency room or become hospitalized?
We have identified hospital physicians we trust to supervise the admission of our patients, and we will partner with hospital staff and specialists to oversee your health and condition during your hospitalization.
What happens if I need a specialist referral or a diagnostic test not available in the Victors Care office?
At Victors Care, your physician will refer you to one of the top specialists or diagnostic services at Michigan Medicine. Our staff will even assist you in securing a timely appointment.
What are the credentials of the Victors Care physicians?
Victors Care internists go through a vigorous credentialing process. Learn more about our physician team.
Does Victors Care offer an executive physical program?
Yes. Victors Care is a great solution to give top executives access to convenient, high quality health care.
What do people like most about concierge medicine?
In a word, access.
- Access to communication with one's own private physician by cell phone, email, or text.
- Access to the peace of mind that comes from having a physician to rely on 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Access to the security of having a physician dedicated to the patient's physical and emotional well-being.
- Access to the convenience of making appointments that accommodate the patient's schedule.
- Access to a relationship with a health care professional that fosters trust and a growing knowledge of the patient's personal health.
- Access to quality care that includes wellness, prevention, chronic disease management, and coordination of care with the best medical experts in the field.
- Access to the comfort of receiving care in a warm and pleasant environment.